The North American Range Goat and Sheep Alliance, more simply known as NARGASA, is a 501c3 non-profit alliance of people dedicated to sharing information with other North Americans about how range goats and sheep can help their lands and their livelihoods.
- Because goats and sheep consume undesired plants such as brush and invasive weeds by preference, they can help keep that land productive for raising other livestock. By joyfully consuming unwanted plants such as leafy spurge, spotted knapweed and thistles, the goats and sheep help grasses thrive naturally, without chemicals.
- Because goats and sheep convert undesired plants into red meat that is in great demand, the sale of animals raised on brush and weeds can help farm and ranch livelihoods, keeping dollars here at home and earning rather than costing money as solar powered, self-propelled weed controllers and fertilizers. Goats and sheep can be fun and couldn’t hurt younger or smaller members of the family as easily as larger livestock could.
- What’s a “range” goat or sheep? Excellent question – that’s the name that we’re using for the livestock that we raise: for weed control, breeding purposes, or as market animals (those destined for consumption by humans) which are not kept in a feedlot or breeding pen every day of their lives. A “range” can be less than one acre or several thousands of acres, with fences or herders to keep the goats and sheep where they should be.
How will this help YOU?
- NARGASA.org is an easy way to learn about how small ruminants can help our lands and livelihoods. Each press release (targeted to be released monthly) will be posted on this website when released. If you’d like us to do the work of getting the information directly to you, sign up to receive News from NARGASA right in your email in-box. Free, interesting and useful information about goats and sheep, lands and livelihoods.
- If you would like to get more involved, you can check the listing of allies for folks who can do targeted grazing for you, or help you get started raising goats or sheep for fun, profit or food, or buy the kids or lambs from you that your livestock produces. The listing tells what folks do and how to contact them.
- If you would like to be listed as an “ally” in the U.S. or Canada, simply check out how to donate to make a small tax-deductible donation; fill in the blanks so that you are listed correctly. It’s that easy!
- If you know of a person or publication that you think should hear from us, sign them up to receive the News from NARGASA. That’s easy, too.
- If would like to attend a Great Goat and Sheep Gathering, or to learn more about the get-togethers, just click on the Gathering button! We very much hope to see you there!